Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Today's "Nessun Dorma" and other picture postcards...



Today's "Nessun Dorma" is brought to you by that sensitive '90s balladeer, Michael Bolton (after the infamous haircut, no less).

Again, I must say that even though Bolton is an unlikely source for one of the more famous arias in the opera world...he's not doing too badly. He's taking it seriously but not so much that you roll your eyes at his pretentiousness. Plus, he doesn't look too bad in the Edwardian-style suit he's got on. What I'm trying to say is I wouldn't kick him off my porch if he was a Jehovah's Witness. I'd receive testimony, you know what I'm sayin'?

Anyway...enough of what I would do to Michael Bolton if he came to my house.

It's WEDNESDAY, folks! And what does that mean here at Rancho Sudiegirl?

...I have absolutely NO idea.

(Hey, at least I'm being honest. Honesty is not always a vital ingredient at Rancho Sudiegirl but I'm not afraid to try new things.)

Well...let's throw out an award or two, shall we? (Actually, maybe just one because I don't wanna bore my audience members.)

Today's award? The "Homer!"

Recipient: Vulcan, Inc., a community development company in Washington State
Reason: The...well...distinctive name of the public transportation system serving a community.

To quote the article:


Officially, it's the South Lake Union Streetcar. But in the neighborhood where the new line runs, it's called the South Lake Union Trolley — or, the SLUT. At Kapow! Coffee, a shop in the old Cascade neighborhood, 100 T-shirts bearing the words "Ride the SLUT" sold out in days, and another 100 are on order.
The origins of this distinctive name are not clear...Vulcan Inc. states that they were aware of the original acronym and changed it. Others dispute that story. (Just goes to show you that a SLUT can never give a straight answer.)

The SLUT's final costs are estimated to be around $60 million, with a completion date of December '07. (I think it's safe to say the SLUT is not cheap.)

Judge's comments:

Well, GEE...where do I begin?

First of all...T-shirts saying "Ride the SLUT" have been very popular sellers in this suburb of Seattle. As a matter of fact, if anyone here is reading this entry and is from the Seattle area, can you pick me up one? I wear a size XXL.

Secondly, something tells me that Vulcan Inc. will probably shake down all departments to find out who the brain trust was that came up with the name. Makes me wonder what names they rejected? Maybe fabulous names like this:
  • South Lake Union Gateway...SLUG
  • BALLS...Big And Lovely Lakeside Systems
  • CUM...Cascade Union Metro
You see? Mass transit can be fun!

So on that note, I leave you with a mangled headline for today:

Mangled headline:
Apple to launch iPhone in Germany Nov. 9

Sudiegirl's response:
Wonder how far it'll fly? Are they going to use a catapult or a slingshot? These are the hard-hitting news questions, aren't they?