Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thermoperiodicity for Thursday...

Well...first things first....


From one of your crazy Midwest "goy" fans. To commemorate the birth o' Mel, here's a specially selected by Sudiegirl clip...




OOH...that felt so good, I'd better put in another...



Yep...better get a s**t load of dimes. I know that feeling all too well...you can't live in an urban area of any kind and NOT have that feeling, you know?

As you can see, I've got a smidge of enthusiasm back today, so I've been tweakin' the blog and all. Please note that a poll asking what YOU, the reader, would like to see more of in here has been included on the sidebar. Results will be made available most soonly.

Well, my mother officially made it to the East Coast and is lounging at a motel in Dover, Delaware. Why? Because she's awaiting birth of the latest baby on her side of the family. This kiddo will be my Aunt Martha's first great-grandchild.

Wow. I don't think any of my great grandparents were even AROUND when I was born, so this will be different.

At any rate, I'll be seeing my aunt and my mom this weekend and it will be good to see both of them. I'll be kind of sad at the same time, though...it's strange to know that I'll be seeing Mom without Dad along for the ride. It's one thing to be home for the funeral, and another to have time away and adjust my brain into "Dad's not coming back" mode. Hope I can get a grip. You'd think I'd be able to...especially since it's been almost two years...but that's not always the case.

All right, now...STOP IT!!!! None of that sad crap! It's MEL'S BIRTHDAY, DAMMIT! We're gonna have some fun here.

First of all, I've entered a contest. Thanks to my buddy Pointmeister, I found a link to a contest called "This Blog Blows My Dress Up", for funny posts. Pointmeister submitted a post full o' puns that was Biblical in nature. The button is posted in my sidebar as well as below...


blogblowsmydress_sidebar.jpg

I have submitted my (in)famous post by Chip A. Hoy regarding Cookie Monster and the deep, dark secrets of public TV for children. Click here to visit that story once again, and click on the button above to read the many other contenders. I'm hoping she likes my stuff...

Also, I have been tagged TWICE in one day to tell people eight random facts about myself. These two folks are the culprits: Screaming and Punching and Den of Wolves. So here are the damned rules and here's what I did:

THE RULES
1. All right, here are the rules.
2. We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
3. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
4. People who are tagged write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
5. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

However, since I'm a damned rebel, I'm gonna let you tag yourselves. (Oh, yeah, and because I'm inherently lazy too...)

OK...here's 8 facts about moi...

  1. I like to smell unlit cigarettes. They smell like raisins.
  2. When I was a little kid and my dad went to his first Army Reserve drill, I wanted to wait up for him. Mom wouldn't let me wait, so I laid out my clothes (pants, shirt, socks) on the floor, cut out hands from paper, as well as a head with hair. I put those items together like it was a person laying out on the floor with a note saying "Mom wouldn't let me stay up till you got home so I made this for you." (cue sitcom "awwwww")
  3. One time, I threatened to bite my older niece's tongue if she stuck it out at me again. She did it, I bit it. She didn't do it again.
  4. According to my kindergarten teacher, I flushed an air freshener down the toilet, flooding the bathroom. I don't remember it.
  5. Somewhere, my mother has a picture of me dressed up in army fatigues, looking like a big(ger) fool than usual. Apparently, we were going raspberry picking and I was advised to wear long sleeves and long pants in the heat of summer so I wouldn't get all scratched up from the thorns. I was mugging for the camera. Lovely, eh?
  6. I sang the National Anthem once at a minor league baseball game...the Iowa Cubs. I sang it as a duet with a friend, and we got lost on the way to the stadium because I am directionally impaired.
  7. I employed the "Doberman method" of babysitting once...my cousin Vickie's kids were being very obnoxious, and I made them sit on the couch while the Doberman watched them. Whenever they moved to try and get off the couch, the dog would growl at them. It was a very effective method - I'm surprised I didn't try to submit it to more child development journals.
  8. I have a drink order I employ if I don't want anyone else stealing sips from my booze...try coke and peppermint schnapps sometime. Nobody will be remotely interested in touching it.
OK - it's done. Hope you two ladies are HAP HAP HAPPY!!! Of course you are!

So anyway...I think I need to close up shop for now, but I will be back. OH YES, I will be back!