Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Praise God and Grab The Camera...my opinion on "Friends of God"


"...evangelicals have the best sex life of any other group."

-quote from Ted Haggard, former president of the National Association of Evangelicals. He left his post at his church and the NAE in November '06 after his actions with a male prostitute came to light.

This quote was not taken from an article in a magazine. Oh no no no.

This was a quote he uttered on camera to Alexandra Pelosi in the documentary "Friends of God: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi", airing on HBO/HBO On Demand. Here's the trailer for said film:




In the full version of the film, Haggard then proceeded to ask two male congregants ON CAMERA about their sex lives - how often, and if their wives climaxed every time. Of course, they answered that their bedroom activities were very satisfying for themselves and their wives. ON CAMERA.

I wonder how their wives felt about that on-camera response?

I watched this whole documentary last night, and I gotta tell you, it was a mixed bag. Some parts were actually touching (e.g. the minister who had a goal of putting up crosses throughout the South, and paying for the efforts out of his own pocket). Some were kind of funny, such as the Christian Wrestling Federation.

Other parts scared me to death, the most scary being the youth rally at the end. These teens were whipped into a frenzy. It made me wonder whether Nazi youth rallies had the same effect back in the day, you know? I don't like thinking that way, but ya gotta wonder. Teens can be quite impressionable. If someone were to take advantage of that, God only knows what can happen.

Scenes with the children answering questions about their belief in evolution vs. creationism also bordered on the scary...check out this video to see a very scary type of Christian curriculum:



Political movements? SURE! We've got Jerry Falwell preachin', and the students at Liberty University (which he founded) going from door to door passing out pamphlets.

Some segments left me with a mixed bag of emotions. There was a brief segment with a couple in Kentucky or Tennessee (don't remember which) who had 10 children. He was a preacher, she was a stay at home mother, and they home schooled all their kids. They seemed happy, but I don't think I'd be able to handle the chaos. The kids were cute as bugs, though, and they looked healthy and happy. Who's to say whether they're right or wrong in what they do?

It also made me kind of sad when people would say hurtful things in the name of God. One man (who had a New Testament Bible verse painted on the sides and tailgate of his truck) said that if you give your soul to Jesus, you're a winner. If you don't believe in Jesus, you're a loser. I believe in God, but using words like "winner" and "loser" in relation to religious beliefs is not cool with me. If someone wants to know about my religion, I'll tell them. But if their choices are opposite mine, I'm not going to question it. It's their business.

I think the goofiest thing was...the Christian Wrestling Federation. The top wrestler goes by the stage name of "Jesus Freak". 'Nuff said on that one.

I don't know how much of the flick I've spoiled, but see it anyway.

I am glad I saw it, because it affirmed that I am definitely not an Evangelical. I don't have problems with people that are, but I am happy with my affiliations. That's what it comes down to - I've had enough of trying to be something I'm not in my life. I would think that God loves those who are sincere in their faith, not just "playing the part".

That's all I got for this topic, folks...but read here and here for further opinions.