Thursday, September 07, 2006

Thursday's a little bit skimpy, but I'll make do with what I have.


Thought for Today:

"It is good to be without vices, but it is not good to be without temptation."
— Walter Bagehot, English editor and economist (1826-1877).

Sudiegirl's response:

Whatever. Pass the ice cream and tequila please.

Well, my pretties...the audition went well as in that I had mucho fun. It was held at the piano player's home, and what a gorgeous home it was!!! We had the piano player, me, a MONSTER of a bass player (he didn't even need an amp to be heard, but could also play subtly), a drummer and an alto sax player. I won't hear for a few days, which is a bummer, but I'll keep my li'l ears open for more opportunities.

It's been a hectic week so tonight is definitely stay at home and crawl under the covers night. I've been coughing a bit today so I think I'll be careful and stay in so I don't sprain anything.

So let's explore the world around us...

First and foremost...

Congratulations from Rancho Sudiegirl to Paris Hilton on receiving her first DUI!

She says that she only had one margarita. Either the margarita was the size of your standard oil drum or else she only weighs 8 lbs. Either way, she's booked.

Ah...sweet vindication at last.

Let's move on, shall we?

To mangle a quote from Paul Rudd in "Anchorman"...

PANDA BLOG!

Yes, a week old giant panda cub in Beijing, China, has her own blog. To quote the article:

The blog, named "Baby Panda Home", has debuted on the Sina website. It features photos, regular updates on the panda's growth and discussions among online panda fans. The panda blog is designed and written in a deliberately childish style, as it describes life at the Giant Panda Breeding and Research Center near the city of Chengdu in southwest China.

Please note that I did try to find a link to the panda blog, but for some reason I'm having no luck. According to NPR, they state that there is a Chinese version right now, but an English translation is expected soon. I'll be on it, don't worry!

As a fellow blogger, I'd just like to welcome her to the blogosphere and give her a few helpful hints.

1. Check your spelling and grammar.

2. Create a blogroll consisting of other fellow animal bloggers. That way, you can network and boost your stats.

3. Blog once a day - that way people won't get bored.

4. Remember - it's YOUR blog. If you want to talk about eating bamboo shoots, that's your prerogative, baby! Embrace it.

5. BTW, Mr. Fabulous is looking for expand his audience in China...you might want to contact him.

Don't say I don't look out for my fellow bloggers, man!

PS: This cub has no name as of yet. What would you name this panda, fair readers? I'd name the panda one of the following:

a. Babycakes
b. Flo
c. Cuddles
d. Fluffer-butt (that's what I call my cat Millie sometimes.)

At any rate, leave your potential name in the comments, and then readers can vote on them!


Next, I am issuing BOTH the "Egg Suckin' Dog" award plus the"Scooby-Dooby-Dubious Distinction" award!











Recipient:
an anonymous driver from Switzerland

Reason: Caught speeding - as in 161 km/hr (aobut 100 mph) in eastern Ontario. His explanation to the officer? To quote the article:

"A motorist from Switzerland, used to driving around hills and mountains, takes advantage of the ability to go faster without risking hitting a goat," read the traffic officer's notes of the incident."

Outcome: Well, the dubious distinction was that the local police admitted that the goat excuse was the first of its kind. However, the Swiss driver was still fined $360 Canadian dollars.

Judge's comments:

Yodel-lay-hee-D'OH!

I had to create this - here's a new award:
"The Bickersons" Award for Goofy Marital Arguments that End in Injury

Recipients: Mary and Stephen Gray of Cheshire, Oregon

Reason: Mrs. Gray shot her husband in the back after he "allegedly" shot her pet chicken and killed it.

To quote the article:

Riley said the couple had been drinking for much of Monday while they did yard work at their rented home in the town northwest of Eugene, and they began arguing after Stephen Gray shot the chicken with a .44-caliber handgun. Deputies said he was then hit with a shot from a .22-caliber rifle, and is recovering. Mary Gray was arraigned Tuesday on an assault charge.
Judge's comments:

OK. I think I know my firearms pretty well (I had a gun cabinet in my bedroom until age 11, and Mom has her very own Colt .357 Magnum). They were dealing with some pretty serious hardware there! My God!

I don't know how everyone does their yardwork, but apparently in Oregon, alcohol and firearms are an essential part of landscaping. You could have knocked me over with a feather on that one.

The "pet chicken" thing is disturbing. I keep thinking of Dana Carvey's character on SNL squawking "Chickens make lousy housepets!"

I wonder if it was a "crime of passion" because the chicken was shot and killed, or if she'd been thinking about shootin' the hubby all along. Also, since an animal was harmed, will PETA get involved?

Judge's Disclaimer:

Yes, I am aware of domestic abuse issues throughout this country, and that if an abuser will attack a human, they will also attack a pet (dog, cat, whatever).

However, you've got to admit this has a twist of "Ma and Pa Kettle" meets the couple from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" with a chicken thrown in. Also, as the article states, they were drinking, and it wasn't really determined if the husband intended to shoot the chicken or not. To quote the article:

CHESHIRE, Ore. - A woman shot her husband in the back after he killed her pet chicken, the Lane County sheriff's deputies said. Deputies said they were sure that Mary Gray, 58, intended to shoot her husband, Stephen Gray, 43. They weren't certain if the husband meant to fire at the chicken.

In my humble opinion, if anyone (police officer or otherwise) has to wonder about whether someone intended to fire a gun at a chicken, I'm sorry...there's going to be at least one snicker followed by several outright guffaws.


And finally, I leave you with this mangled headline...

Scientist says lots of dinosaurs remain
(Sure they do...that's what most teenagers call anyone over the age of 25.)

Don't forget to tip your wait staff...

Sudiegirl