Friday, September 08, 2006

I'm mad today...from the "I Done Be Outraged" files...


OK...I'm honked off royally today and since you're here you can either read why I'm pissed or go read "Ziggy". Your choice.

This article discusses one Robert Sperlik Jr., a former band instructor who worked in a suburban Chicago school district.

This band director also (over a period of several years) molested 11 female students.

Think about it for just a moment...

Eleven female students. ELEVEN. One is bad enough, but ELEVEN.

To quote the article, Sperlik Jr. was sentenced for 20 years to the following charges:

several felony counts, including aggravated kidnapping, unlawful restraint, aggravated criminal sexual abuse and indecent solicitation of a child.

You can't even say that the kids were high school students either, although that would be just as heinous...again, from the article:

First arrested in January 2005, Sperlik had been charged with 243 counts involving the alleged molestation of girls ranging in age from 9 to 14. Sperlik taught in South Berwyn Elementary School District 100 in suburban Chicago for 18 years.

That's the age group where my nieces fall now, so I picture girls like them in my head. Girls that are full of life and vitality, yet can be broken easily by events such as this.

And the counts, which translate into the number of times, should also be noted.

Two-hundred and forty-three is a bigger number than eleven. That means this teacher did this approximately 22 times per student. Another large number.

Let's hear what this educator did to the students in question...another quote:

Prosecutors say the molestations took place between 1998 and 2003.

Authorities said Sperlik would duct-tape students and fondle them, and at other times asked the girls to bind themselves and imitate poses from a collection of bondage videos he kept.

OK...now...I've had all I stands and I can't stands no more (thanks, Popeye, for that unforgettable turn of phrase).

You all know that I'm a part-time musician, and as such, had extensive music lessons as well as band, choir, music theory, etc. I am honestly THANKFUL that none of my instructors abused my trust in that way. I've had my share of hurt feelings and broken promises, but never this badly. I'm screwed up enough, thank you...don't need any more help especially if it involves duct-tape.

You see, teaching music has its own quirks about it. Teaching in general is not a job where the final bell means anything. You grade papers, work on lesson plans, etc.

With music educators, in addition to grading and planning lessons, you also have to put your "face" out in the community to promote your programs. Many times, that involves joining in other community activities (church music, community theater, community music groups, etc). So if that's the case for THIS man, there may be more than eleven victims involved.

I would like to say that "this is an illness and the teacher needs treatment". Really.

I wish to God for all involved that it could be that simple. But it's not.

I remember all my music teachers and the impact they had on my development (both personally and musically). Some are still precious to me, others - not so much. But one common thing that happens when a student really LIKES what they're learning is that a bond develops. That's a precious gift that an adult can receive from a child.

This teacher took that trust away. In its place, he created pain and sadness.

If I were a nicer person, I'd say that this guy should be put in solitary for his own protection.

I guess I'm not nice.

Sorry - more jokes later.