Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I miss out on all these bits of news...damn it!


Folks, ya gotta start telling me stuff like this!

I grew up with my parents (and later myself) reading me the Berenstain Bears books. My dad always got frustrated when reading the books to me from the early days because he'd continue to speak in rhyme for a day after thatn.

This is really sad...I always admired Stan and Jan Berenstain for creating stories together so well. It's hard for married couples to sometimes collaborate on things like this, but they did it remarkably well...even when their later books were more "preachy".

Still, all in all, when my favorite children's authors pass on, it's like another little piece of my childhood is gone.

Some of my other favorite childhood authors (in case you're interested)...

Ellen Conford
Beverly Cleary
Robert McCloskey
Dr. Seuss (I know he's gone)
Laura Ingalls Wilder (She's gone too...way before I was even thought of)
Judy Blume ( not gone...YAY)
Eric Carle
and yes, Fred "Herman Munster" Gwynne (he's an excellent artist/writer...wrote at least three children's books based on figures of speech...hilarious!)

How about you? Which authors did you like as a child?

And isn't reading for pleasure one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself or a child?

As Krusty the Klown would say, "Give a hoot! Read a book!"

Sudiegirl the literate