Sunday, August 14, 2005

More happy-time Sunday vibes...


Here's my idol and role model (Velma) again. I truly believe she and I are alike in many ways...we're both bespectacled, we both pontificate and we're the ones who come up with the weird s**t that saves the day.
It's been a hot one here in DC again...we had an outdoor church service and against my better judgment, I went. Ugh.
Anyway, after church, I - gulp - went shopping.
Now you folks that know me know I have to be really careful when I shop in case the BP monster takes over and I'm homeless but have groovy new clothes.
Well, I have to say, I did pretty well! They had a sale at Hecht's...I got 5 pairs of pants and five shirts for under $200. They have kickin' sales, that's for sure. I needed clothes for work, and as you know by the rant from Tuesday, finding pants has been a real pain in the tuckus. Well, I found 'em, and bought them, and I'm a happy li'l toadie. So now, I'm home, and attempting to get cool. Once I'm done here, I'll be jumping in the shower to wash the effluvium off of me (I love that word) and then taking a nap of grandiose proportions.
I did want to clarify something from my previous blog entry...after I listed a lot of the teachers that made a difference in my life, I realized that there were a few that I left out.
One was Mrs. Andersen, who was my art teacher in 7th grade. She's got a sweet spirit and is quite knowledgable in her craft. She took a sabbatical from her job to explore jewelry making. She was quite good at it...my mom has several of her pieces. She was a lot of fun to take art from because you could see how much she enjoyed it.
Another person who was a great teacher (but I didn't appreciate it at the time) was Mrs. Richardson. Mrs. Richardson was very unique in the sense that she had taught a long time by the time I had her. She had my father when he attended school in a one-room country schoolhouse, plus she had at least two of my cousins and my sister before she had me. She was probably not even five feet tall, but she could put the fear of God in a person. I was scared of her for a while, but I (very) gradually got over it. She dearly loved to teach. She took a picture of each class she'd had, and when she retired, she had a photo album full of pictures of former students. She kept up with them, too! She passed away a while back, and I really felt badly. I wish I had appreciated her more.
As I remember more teachers, I will document them here...the past few days, as I've been browsing through websites, I've realized how much we really owe teachers in this society. They have a hard job, and we don't always do a lot on our end as "laypeople" to make it easier. That's going to be a school year resolution around here...I'm going to try and do more to help in that arena. Of course, there are teachers that give the profession a bad name, and I may discuss them too...then again, I may not. Depends on if I'm feeling cranky that day.
I know it sounds hokey, but you'll just have to deal with my sentiment.
And now, I'm off to help little old ladies cross the street...
Sudiegirl the civic-minded