Friday, April 22, 2005

Just another round of gripin', but I'm so damned cute doing it you'll forgive me, right?

OK, gentle readers, it’s time for another round.

I’ve been snoopin’ around on the ‘Net, and I guess the Cookie Monster piece has been read more than I thought it was. Wow. Even Tommy Blaze got into it, PLUS he answered the comment I sent to him at his blog. And people say celebrities don’t acknowledge the “little people”. While I ain’t exactly little, I’m not a superstar.

Speaking of superstars, the apartment directly below mine has an aspiring goth/metal/punk band of some sort rehearsing in it, and I’ve got Joan Osborne blaring in self-defense. She rocks! Way better than those yahoos right below me, that’s for sure.

Well, to be honest, not a lot of excitement in the world beyond the Pope. I heard lots of pope puns on today’s “Stevens and Medley” show, and I am all poped out. I’m not sure what I think of ol’ Benedict XVI…hope he doesn’t live up to the name of that other famous Benedict in American history books. That’s the last thing we need…a traitorous pope.

Also, I don’t keep up with “American Idol” because I like to think I have some dignity, so all these contestants people talk about just kind of leave me scratching my head. The whole reality show genre, as a whole, is something I have never kept up with. I tried, just so I could get what people were talking about at work, but then I realized that I was working harder to fit in with them than I needed to. I mean, how many of them took the time to watch Cartoon Network just so they could understand the meaning of me hollering “Buttered toast!” for no apparent reason? None. So I keep my viewing habits my own, and talk about what I like, and to HELL with the rest of it.

Guess I told you, didn’t I?

However, I know you’re expecting my views on pop culture, and I guess I’ll share a few little opinions before I go drain my pasta. (and NO, that is not a cute euphemism for “going to the bathroom”…I already WENT to the bathroom, so I will honestly be draining the pasta.)

1. The prosecution in Michael Jackson’s case…have they already rested? If so, I honestly think this should be a lead-pipe cinch of a case, and if I didn’t believe in the whole concept of “innocent till proven guilty”, I’d say “Fry him.” Yes, I owned a copy of Thriller. Yes, I wanted to marry him when I was in the 9th grade. I was STUPID! Apparently I was the wrong age and gender for him at the time, and horribly misguided. Now I aim my sights a bit higher…like, say, Jamie Foxx. Rowr.
2. Whitney’s in rehab…two words…big surprise.
3. Ben Affleck is “reportedly” engaged to Jennifer Garner. Instead of Bennifer, should they be “Jenjamin”? Just for variety’s sake?
4. A comic actress named Debralee Scott (she had a bit part in “American Graffiti”, and was a featured player on “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman”, plus had bad teeth and never got braces) died of natural causes and was only 52. Is that honestly possible? I mean, “natural causes”…that’s just the body runnin’ out of juice to keep itself going, not due to any toxins or haywire cells, right? Isn’t 52 a bit YOUNG for that? I mean, I’m not far away from that myself, really, when you look at it. Great, another worry. Call the papers…
5. Joan Osborne rocks and deserves to be as big a star as dumb old William Hung.

And on THAT note, I shall say ‘Adieu” and see if I can find a blunt instrument to beat my downstairs neighbors with.

Crankily (but adorably) yours,
Sudiegirl