Sunday, April 03, 2005

It's raining during cherry blossom time...

Hello, folks...How goes it in the land of the living?

It's still busy at work, so I guess I'll just have to express myself from my dial-up connection at home. Look at it this way, it keeps the bill collectors from calling in...

Well, Sudiegirl is going to go back to the midwest again in early May, this time to tour Doug's hometown of Bloomington, IL (Home of Beer Nuts and State Farm Insurance). I'll be meeting my folks there (and hopefully my loving sister and her three beautiful children) to pick up my inheritance from dear ol' abusive, conceited Grandpa Duvall. I've mentioned it before...the "Floydmobile" that I want to plaster with liberal bumper stickers, and possibly a painting of Elmer Fudd on the tailgate if there's room after all the bumper stickers.

My oldest niece is thrilled at the prospect of us coming back, but of course (being a teenager) had to make a sarcastic comment, like, "Gee, that's a world record, isn't it?" I can't blame her too much...after all, I taught her sarcasm. It's one of the duties in my family that you must learn it before age 12 to properly defend yourself from the slings and arrows of other family members. Now if she'd only appreciate "Jonny Quest".

And now, comments on the world around me:

1. Terri Schiavo passed away this week after 13 days off her feeding tube. This is a touchy subject for many people, myself included. I feel like if I express my opinion, I might make people angry, but I will say this...it is SO important to get things in writing, whether its a living will, making arrangements for senior citizen relatives regarding their care and well being, etc. If there had been some living will for Ms. Schiavo, chances are this wouldn't have been an issue for CNN to broadcast every 15 minutes from a hospice in Florida. There is no right answer, but there are a hell of a lot "less wrong" answers, you know? Speaking as someone who has seen her family bitterly divided over issues of health, money and well-being, it's just plain old BETTER to get things in writing, even if there are issues of protest and people saying, "Family members don't need to put things in writing." As the Schiavos and Schindlers taught us this month, it is much better to put things in writing.

2. I'm sure I'm not unique in discussing the Pope's passing, but you know, he's been a world presence for so long I have to say something. On the way home from a gig last night, my friend Bruce and I were discussing our memories of when Pope John Paul II was selected and that he had been around for 25 years or more. He had such an interesting story to tell in his life, he came from a volatile (at the time) part of the world (Poland), and he was inspirational to many non-Catholics. You can't help but feel a twinge of sadness and hope that the powers that be find someone as good and capable as John Paul II.

3. DONNY OSMOND is coming to The Birchmere (music venue in Alexandria, VA) in MAY! I am stunned and flabbergasted. I didn't think The Birchmere booking agent would find ol' Donny to their taste as far as who they would normally book. However, I am totally PSYCHED about him coming to the DC metro area and will hopefully be able to buy a ticket. Yes, you've guessed it, I am a Donny Osmond fan. From the time I was four years old, even! I remember one summer (I was either five or six) I decided I was going to Hollywood to see Donny Osmond, and since there were train tracks about a mile or so from our house, I decided to walk over and catch the train like a little hobo and ride the rails to Hollywood and my one true love. My mom busted me before I got to the end of the driveway, so my youthful dreams of Donny were stifled. I waxed and waned over the years about the Donster, but now that I'm older, I really respect his musical talents and even though he's married with six kids, he's still HOT! If you want to find me at the Birchmere, I'll be wearing purple socks and holding up a sign saying "In the Mormon Tradition, Please Take Me As Your Second Wife!" If Mrs. Osmond is reading this, I'm sure you outrank me in Donny's eyes but you can't blame a girl for trying...it's the American Way.

And on that note, I'm off for my afternoon nap.

Soggily yours,
Sudiegirl