Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Interesting survey - but is it accurate as far as pinpointing a winner?

If you click on the title of this post, you'll read about a survey concerning animal lovers and who they support for President of the U.S.

According to this survey (as well as POTUS's past), pet owners favor McCain. To quote the article:

An AP-Yahoo! News poll found that pet owners favor McCain over Obama 42 percent to 37 percent, with dog owners particularly in McCain's corner.

"I think a person who owns a pet is a more compassionate person — caring, giving, trustworthy. I like pet owners," said Janet Taylor of Plymouth, Mass.

Taylor, who described herself as a retired stay-at-home wife, owns two cats, Lady Jane Taylor and Mr. Tommy Katz.

Uh, what? I know many pet owners that are slimeballs. They're good to their pets and rotten to anyone else. That's not a major indicator of good citizenship, Ms. Taylor. Hate to tell ya.

Also, the article states that McCain has a dozen or so pets at home in Arizona. How often does he really interact with them, though? Seriously...when you have that many, there's no way you can bond with them all. I've grown up with a variety of animals, and as hard as you try you can't get close with all of them. Maybe he's different than me, I don't know.

I'm not sure why Obama doesn't have pets, but I would think that a busy schedule would be a huge part of why he doesn't have one. He promised his daughters that they could have one after the election, and I'm thinking his reasoning for not having a dog or a cat is because they're too busy right now to properly take care of animals, and maybe Obama wants his daughters to learn responsibility for an animal as opposed to all the care being shoved on to Mom and Dad.

I know you know I'm pro-Obama, but I'm disgusted with surveys like this. They're too "cutesy", in my opinion, and statements like the one above from Mrs. Taylor don't prove to me what makes a good President. Do we have proof that all the saxophone players in America voted for Bill Clinton when he ran for POTUS? Did violin players favor Bush or Dole back then?

I guess I just get tired of predictions based on things like this.

What do you think of surveys like this? I wanna know, folks.