Thursday, June 26, 2008

sing - sing a song - sing out loud, sing out strong...

Ed H. asks me why I don't write more about singing.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I don't. I figure it's something I do instinctively and how can you write about that?

I know I get uptight about bad singing. All the years of choir and voice lessons have made sure of that. If someone cracks a flat or sharp note in the wrong place (myself included), I wince. I get even more uptight when bad singers think they're good and put down others...I have to bite my tongue very very hard to keep from giving them a verbal thrashing.

I've always been conflicted about singing. I love to sing but I'm always fighting the curse of being pigeon-holed. I mean, there's more to me than a throat, right? The only problem is I have yet to figure out all the other things I can do besides sing so I can honestly say, "I do more than that, I (fill in the blank with various skills)..." It always seems like people treat me differently when they find out I can sing. I don't know if I like that. I always feel like if my voice disappears, so will I. That's my greatest fear.

My nieces love to sing. They sing in church choir and choir at school as well. They always want me to sing to them over the phone. I wonder if they'll always be singing like I have. I hate to see people stop making music when they're good at it, you know? Life gets in the way of what we want to do, but who says you have to give up everything?

So there, Ed. I wrote about singing - hope you're happy.

Nyah nyah nyah.