Monday, June 30, 2008

Another Muppet Clip...OH NO!



By now, you folks should know that I love the Muppets. If you don't know by now you haven't been paying attention.

When I was a kid, Harry Belafonte was a guest on "The Muppet Show" and he performed this song...

If the lyrics aren't clear, I'm sorry about that. But basically, it goes like this:

We come from the fire
living in the fire
go back to the fire
turn the world around

We come from the water
living in the water
go back to the water
turn the world around

We come from the mountain
living on the mountain
go back to the mountain
turn the world around

Woh-hoh, so is life
Wah-hah, so is life
Woh-hoh, so is life
Wah-hah, so is life

Do you know who I am?
Do I know who you are?
See we one another clearly?
Do we know who we are?

Water make the river
river wash the mountain
fire makes the sunlight
turn the world around

heart is of the river
body is the mountain
spirit is the sunlight
turn the world around

we are of the spirit
truly of the spirit
only can the spirit
turn the world around

Wo-ho, so is life
a wa ti wa-ha
so is life...

I think this is such a wonderful number and I'll tell you why. It's the best way I've ever seen/heard spirituality explained.

I'm no theologian, but to me this explains what being a spiritual person is all about. It explains the relationship between the heart, the body and the soul and how if we're aware of ourselves and other people, we all can make a difference in this world. It's not catering to a specific religion either. It just says that we have the power to turn the world around - to turn our lives around - to turn others' lives around. We just have to be aware of it to appreciate it.

I know it sounds hokey and I'm probably way off base, but whenever I feel like I don't matter, this song pops in my head and I feel like I'm part of something.