Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Two gig Sudie...part deux...the reckoning


OK - so this was a two gig weekend, as I said before.

This is part two of said weekend.

First of all...I've learned to never ever trust a security guard. The security guard at the front gate sent me in the wrong direction, and I wound up being ten minutes late for the gig. *sigh* It worked out OK, but I hate being late for gigs. Just HATE it.

Thank goodness the crowd was enthusiastic. They laughed at my jokes, for cryin' out loud. Sometimes I don't even laugh at my jokes. So right there, that was a pleasant surprise.

However, something happened that wasn't so pleasant. I witnessed some racist/sexist behavior in the lobby involving an acquaintance of mine and a head honcho for this concert. I don't want to go into detail about it as I feel it's not my place, but I felt helpless because I didn't know what to do to stop it.

I've never really seen racism up close before, and I thought we'd evolved as a society since the '60s. Apparently not.

It's so hard to know what to think of the whole gig experience. The audience was happy with us and we may get asked back, but I am disappointed in how my friend was treated. It wasn't right, and I couldn't do anything to help. I don't want to turn this into "me me me", but I do want to hear from you folks.

Have you ever encountered an up-close instance like mine where you felt like, "If I could only DO something to stop it", but you couldn't?

Am I half-baked?

Talk to me, peeps.