Thursday, February 21, 2008

King Lear Act 1, Scene 2.


"This is the excellent foppery of the world, that, when we are sick in fortune,--often the surfeit of our own behavior, -- we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon and the stars: as if we were villains by necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards, liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of planetary influence."

Shakespeare knew whereof he spoke. I'd like to thank the commenter who left this quote for me regarding a post from January. At my ripe old age of 39, I'm finding that is more true every day. It applies to everyone.

Out of all the Shakespearian works I've read, "King Lear" is the one that truly speaks to me. In the past few years, I know I've lived it...life imitating art, as it were. The child that found disfavor with King Lear, if you remember, was the one that told the truth. The children that embellished were the ones that paid for those deeds by the end of the play.

The blame was placed everywhere but on their doorstep. Why? Because they didn't want to leave their comfort zone and risk embarrassment. They blamed everything and everyone but themselves.


You know, once I accepted this philosophy...that personal responsibility (or lack thereof) shapes your entire life...life became a little easier to accept. I'm not saying I don't slip, or fall, or eat my words. I do, as do we all. Show me one person who hasn't cursed others for their misfortune and I'll show you a fictional character that's actually quite boring.

But there are times when words need to be eaten by someone else, and not yourself. There's times when speaking the truth...and that truth can be backed up by facts that are in black and white for all the world to see if they know where to look...is not a bad thing. It's a freedom that all should have, and none should abuse. It has the potential for disaster, but you can rebuild from that disaster and maybe even create something better.

Mistakes are made in life...we learn from them. But they're our mistakes, for better or worse. And sometimes, telling the truth is scary as hell. But that's where reparation comes in.

So thanks, reader, for that insight.