Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I gots an award, and random dustspecks


Thank you BECKY for awarding me this...it really was a surprise. I usually pride myself on NOT thinking, but I guess I've got people fooled.

Yes, I done be a "thinking blogger". and part of the requirement for being a thinking blogger is I've gotta spread the love and name five other bloggers for the same award. So here ya goes...for those who are nominated, please leave a note in the comments and I'll send you the little picture thingie so you can post it in your blog. Then YOU gotta share the love...which I KNOW you can do.

So...here are my "thinking bloggers".

First is Merujo...she's a fellow transplanted Midwesterner who misses Whitey's ice cream as much as I do. Moreover, she's a very funny, insightful writer who is worth a read. Even with her bad luck, she's still a compelling writer, and one I highly reccommend.

Second, Ed H. Even though he's my ex, he's a damn good writer and has a unique perspective on things. Whether he's reviewing DVD releases, writing about his growing-up years, or politics, he's also got a unique and thoughtful voice.

Third, Thumper! (and, by association, her two cats...Max and Buddah Pest). Thumper loves her chicken McNuggets, her motorcycles, and her kitties. She has great stories to tell, and her cats give me insight on what MY cats might be thinking on a daily (or hourly) basis.

Fourth, Brian from An Audience of One. I label him "The Principal I Wish I Had" on my blogroll, and it's true. Brian is dedicated to the art of education, and juggles parenthood and "principal-ing" with great dexterity. Furthermore, he's got that whole "sensitive guy without being wimpy" thing down, and his loving girlfriend is quite the lucky gal.

Fifth...Jules from Theater of the Absurd. Jules is hilarious, touching, and smart. Between her bedroom exploits, travels through pre-school and student teaching, and other picture postcards, she tells her stories with lots of imagery and humor.

So in a nutshell, all these peoples are funny, smart and articulate, and that's why I nominate them. So there.

_____

Secondly, here's a "Thought for Today" courtesy of Yahoo! News...

Thought for Today:
"The door to the past is a strange door. It swings open and things pass through it, but they pass in one direction only. No man can return across that threshold, though he can look down still and see the green light waver in the water weeds." — Loren Eiseley, American anthropologist (1907-1977).

Sudiegirl's response:
Yes, kids...this is what happens when you combine Nyquil and Gatorade. Green light wavering in water weeds??? What the HELL???

_____

Finally, from the "Needle and the Damage Done" department (so sue me...couldn't think of a better category...), Russell Simmons is doing his best to clean up this one horse town.

How?

To quote the article:

Prominent U.S. hip-hop executive Russell Simmons on Monday recommended eliminating the words "bitch," "ho" and "nigger" from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words."


Yes, the guru of hip-hop wants rappers to stop using words they've been using for about 20 years or so.

I'm of two minds about this (and if you don't agree, note in the comments in a CONSTRUCTIVE manner, please...thank you, the management).

On one hand, it's good that someone so high-up and respected in this branch of popular music is taking a stand on this and saying, "Hey...this is negative behavior that makes US look bad, and we need to stop it NOW." He's wanting to change things in the industry to further improve our society. He's looking out for the best interests of the African-American population with this movement.

However...is it too late?

I mean, it's not like the derogatory words suddenly came into being with the advent of hip-hop culture, now is it? Those words were around long before hip-hop was thought of. It's not just hip-hop. It's a whole mindset.

It's also a matter of who says those words to whom. I mean, you hear the "n" word being tossed around between two black people (or more) and since they're on the same level it's (technically) OK. Same with the other two words that Imus is guilty of, and many more that I haven't even named.

However, when two different race groups are in the picture, the equality has shifted. This much we know.

But shouldn't this change without Russell Simmons taking the steps? Granted, since he's a big mover-shaker in the music inudstry, and his word is taken more seriously than, say...MINE, this is big. But I think it needs to go further than hip-hop culture. We ALL need to stop and think a little more about what we say to whom.

Example...on a temp job I had a year ago or so, there were two women (white, around my age or younger) that called each other "bitch" and "ho". It was sickening, and it would have gotten on my nerves no matter what their racial background. When people do that kind of stuff, it puts down everyone. I was that way in college, and it sickens me now to think of it.

So it's up to all of us, not just Russell Simmons.

And on that note, I'm steppin' out to annoy others. Ciao!