Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Da Joys of Commuting and other Drek...plus SHOUTOUTS!


Thought for Today:
"He that respects himself is safe from others. He wears a coat of mail that none can pierce." — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882).

Sudiegirl's response:
Why do I keep posting these things? I'm just going to be disappointed. Why hasn't someone famous said something like, "Would you just shut up and be a sheep like the rest of us? Quit whining!" Either that or "It's just another day closer to death...grit your teeth."



Well...the mystique of the urban commute is eluding me, folks. Let me break it down for ya.

On Friday, I took the Metro to work. I encountered my first scary weirdo guy. Apparently I have a sign that's readable only by scary weirdo guys that says:
Like I said...I can't see it, but they can. Astounding.

So I'm filling up my SmartTrip card, and some guy starts talking to me about the weather conditions and how it's all Bush's fault. It's a little early for this crap, first of all. We're talking it's 6 AM or something and I am finally starting to hurt from the accident the day before. Therefore, I wasn't talking much in the first place.

Apparently, Mr. Charisma took this as a sign of interest as opposed to me tolerating his presence because the alternative (throwing him in front of a Metrobus) would put me in prison. So he keeps talking about global warming, Bush and what the hell's wrong with this country.

I finally said, "Well, I hope you can have a nice day in spite of everything," and promptly scooted to the nearest escalator.

My Metro ride was very nice and quiet - just what I needed after the hell of the day before. Got to work well ahead of schedule. Yay.

After work, I went to the Metro station. My objective: to catch the Metro to Glenmont so I can meet a friend for vocal coaching/dinner. Just like the morning, I went to "fill up" my SmartTrip card, and another man (who looked pretty OK on the outside) asked me for 75 cents. I gave him a buck instead, and you'd think I'd dropped a Mastercard with no limit at his feet with the amount of thanks I got.

Then, he said, "You're awfully pretty."

I said thank you because my mother taught me to thank people for compliments.

The next question? "You got a boyfriend? Cause I'd like to take you out sometime cause you're so pretty."

Now I admit, I did have makeup on and I looked pretty good. But apparently I'm gonna have to tone the look down because it's obviously a weirdo magnet too.

So when I was asked about my marital status by a man who just received money from me because he was TOO BROKE TO GET A METRO PASS, I simply smiled and said, "Yes, I do."

He answered, "That's too bad, because I'd really like to take you out sometime."

I accept responsibility for giving the guy a dollar. I'm like that. It drives D crazy when we're out because I'll do that for a couple homeless people. I don't know what they're going to do with it, but I figure it's just a dollar. Who knows if I'll be homeless someday?

But when someone who's so broke he needs that money from a total stranger, that's not exactly a selling point for taking a woman on a date. I think I'm the poster girl for homeless guys...my picture is probably hanging in every dumpster in the tri-state area. What a ringing endorsement for my sexuality and general person-hood.

Beyond that, we're relying on taxicabs, buses and the kindness of our friends. I feel isolated, though, and I HATE that. So it should be interesting to go car-shopping. I think whatever I decide on will have purple flames on the side. I figure it's the least I could do.

Besides, scary weirdo guys might think it's cool.

Well, on that note, got a few more shout-outs today...

Catherine is screaming and punching about wildlife
Canape talks about pain and the "oneupmanship" game. Is it a healthy thing? Read on...
Satan works for Hallmark? Check out E-mails from Jesus...
Happy and Blue 2 wonders about wishes and horses...
My Life In Progress talks about bodies and self-esteem.
Nobody doesn't care about the Oscars, but does care about the mongo ice storm that hit his town.

So to one and all, I bid you good Tuesday, and if the links above don't work, please go visit them through my blogroll. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks!

Sudiegirl the super-duper commuter!