Monday, February 26, 2007

Crash Bandicoot and other picture postcards...


Yep - that's D's new nickname thanks to my sister. He's pretty shell-shocked by the whole thing. I'm not sure why I'm not, but I guess it's the meds and the fact that I'm kind of glad to be rid of the damned Floydmobile.

I only hope it dropped on my grandfather's head on its descent into hell. (Yes, the Floydmobile was totaled.)

Anyway...we're using good ol' public transportation until we find another vehicle. At this point, I'm not really...well...INTERESTED in an SUV. We don't have the need for one...we don't have kids, and it's just too much of an expense as far as gas is concerned. Tryin' to be economical here. I'm not even going to TRY for one of those hybrid cars. The waiting list for those is MONGO huge. Not interested. I hate car shopping anyway...not fun being talked down to.

So...enough o' my griping. What's going on elsewhere in my twisted li'l mind? Hmmm...let's see...

Of course...the OSCARS!!!

Thank god Scorsese won. Between him and Peter O'Toole, there was some serious "Susan Lucci syndrome" stuff going on. But now, Pete and Kate Winslet are both in the waiting room. Who do you think will get the Oscar next out of these two?



Also, YAY for Alan Arkin's win. I love Eddie Murphy, don't get me wrong, but there was just something about Alan's performance in "Little Miss Sunshine" that really hooked me in. Seriously...he's an actor that's under-rated, plus he's been on "The Muppet Show" and wrote a song for the show entitled "Pig". Anyone who can write a song with lyrics that contain the phrase "and your mother's a sow" or "and you roll in manure" is a class act in my book.





Finally, Abigail Breslin was DARLING in her dress.

She seems like a pretty nice kid...one I'd allow my kids to play with if I had any, which I don't.

Seeing her looking so pretty in that dress...wow...it gave me hope that MAYBE...just MAYBE...some young performers can get through the business of show without being totally ruined.

While I'm at it...might as well wait for pigs to fly, no?

Oh well. I can dream, can't I?


Next, unfortunately, is something that makes me say:Like many people in this world, I am REALLY tired of hearing about Anna Nicole's tragic, untimely (if you actually expect drug-addled bimbos to live before AARP membership qualification) death.

Now...we have this. Here's an article telling the sad story of Anna Nicole's drug addiction as related by her loving former boyfriend. He is one of many males who is claiming paternity of sweet baby Dannielyn. (I swear, I have never seen so many men claim paternity so willingly. Even if the kid looks like them, I've heard many men say, "That's not my kid." Not so here.)

Maybe I sound cynical in doubting his love for her. But be that as it may, it's just TOO weird. He's trying to maintain composure on the witness stand, telling sad stories of her dependence on anti-depressants.

Do you know what this is going to do to the public as far as the correct perception of what an anti-depressant is and what it does for a person if they need it? My God. It's actually kind of scary when you think about it. Many people call anti-depressants "happy pills" and don't know how the process of psychotropic treatment even works.

To make things worse, people that may actually NEED the meds probably will be scared to get on a regimen because they're afraid they'll get "hooked". Shee-it. I'm on a cocktail right now that's fairly tame compared to hers. If I abused it like she had, I wouldn't be typing this post - I'd be the Maryland state vegetable. Granted, there are MANY MANY folks who I'm sure would be happy about that, but I won't go there.

If ol' Anna Nicole needed anti-depressants, I applaud her for taking the step toward mental health. Only problem is, it seems like there are plenty of shady doctors that will do anything to facilitate unhealthy behavior for the almighty dollar. It's stupid...it's shameful for both LEGITIMATE patients and the psychiatric community as a whole.

Any reputable doctor will tell you that meds alone are not enough, nor is therapy alone not enough. The combination of meds and therapy is usually the best solution...it helps you sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

So to those of you who might be reading this and freaking out about the possibility of taking anti-depressive meds, I have a few words: Anna Nicole was a big fat idiot.

That's all I've got to say about that one.

Finally, a few shout-outs and a thought for the day.

Shout outs go to:

Karlos: he went to a birthday party and had some interesting results.
Dino Martin: a classic YouTube clip with Dino and Marilyn Monroe.
HowAboutTwo: a letter to his newborn twins - very touching and sweet.
Monte Asbury discovers Grammar Girl!

Please visit these folks and tell 'em Sudiegirl sent you!

Thought for Today:
"Only the mediocrities of life hide behind the alibi 'in conference.' The great of this earth are not only simple but accessible." — Isaac Frederick Marcosson, American journalist (1876-1961).
Sudiegirl's response: well, one out of two ain't bad.

Catch ya later...