Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thursday with a thud

I'm feeling a little better today. I think the adjustment of meds was just what I needed. I was wound for sound and now I'm a little more mellow. Not so mellow that I let everything fall by the wayside, fellow bloggers. Just mellow enough.

The floodwaters in IA are slowly changing, with the danger moving further south along the Mississippi. Jesus. I don't know how they can stand it, but they're going along and doing all they can to protect their property and stay safe...that is, except for the foolhardy souls that think they can just go through the floodwaters like Superman. But there's always someone who acts the fool...they must serve as the benchmark for exactly how far you can go before society labels you a complete moron.

At any rate, I have been trying to stay away from political stuff. Obama's the man right now, and I'm happy about that although it took long enough for Hillary to suspend things and do what she needed to do for the good of the Democratic party. Now we just have to mend fences and look at the general election.

I do wonder, though, how candidates can make it through. Seriously...that's a lot of work. They must prepare themselves for it some way, but HOW is definitely beyond me.

Let's face it...your job depends on going all over hell's half acre and telling everyone why you're better than someone else just to get voted into the job. And it's never just about you...it's also about your spouse and kids (if applicable). Everyone's watching you...watching you eat, drink, sleep, go through the daily motions of life as well as the speeches you make and the interviews you give. No privacy whatsoever, folks.

Then you've got four years to prove yourself so you can (hopefully) get elected again. And still no privacy is given for anyone...between Secret Service and people just wanting to get a glimpse of the president, wanting the Pres' time for just a minute, etc.

Then the process starts again to keep the same job you had just four years before, and so does your spouse and family.

Then after that, you don't have to worry about being re-elected, but you do have to plan for what you're going to do when you're done with the presidency. Are you going to lecture? Sit on your butt and go fishing? What?

I wouldn't want to be president for all the tea in China. Too much work. I guess I'll just have to contend with my little secretarial job here in DC.