Tuesday, April 01, 2008

runnin' out of ground beef led to this post...

First, an unanswered question of the universe:

How is it that we can put a man on the moon and create phones weighing mere ounces that can call Japan for pennies on the dollar, but we can't get the neighborhood Taco Bell to keep ground beef in stock for their cheesy beefy melts?
(Thank God I like chicken.)

On Sunday, I picked up a high school friend at Reagan National Airport. I love that airport. It's a definite "Garanimals" airport, with everything in its proper place. *sigh* I definitely pinkpuffyheart that airport.

It was good to see her...she had gastric bypass surgery a couple years ago and she looks great! It's been an odd month...I go a long time not seeing people from home and then this month I see two of my close HS buddies. Not sure what to make of it.

I do know that the people I've seen from my school days are pretty well adjusted and indeed believe that Earth exists beyond the Washington county line. It amazes me in this day and age that there are people who aren't one tiny, teensy bit curious about life outside their hometown or neighborhood, and it's not something that is unique to small towns either.

After living in Iowa and so close to my hometown for so long, I don't know how I stood it. If I were Amish, I'd probably be an outcast by this time...I'd be the one with "provocative literature" in my house like Tom Sawyer or Little Women. I'm still not as adventurous as many people I know, but I think moving here to the DC area was the biggest bird I could have flipped to anyone with that "anyone who leaves is evil" train of thought.

I didn't get that all by myself either...Ed H. was responsible for it, and I fought him tooth and nail. It was a stupid thing on my part, but he taught me that you should be open to the world around you and accept the fact that the world isn't going to be perfect but you still have to make your way in it.

My opinion now? There's nothing wrong with staying or leaving if you're doing it for the right reasons AND you're not persecuting anyone else who makes a different choice from you. If it wasn't for Ed H., I'd probably still be living in my hometown and wishing for greener pastures without the cojones to make it happen.

Besides, they probably run out of ground beef at the local Taco Bell too, I'd wager.