Saturday, April 05, 2008

It's rainin' friends, hallelujah...

The keyword for this week in DC has been RAIN, my friends. Quack quack, gonna build an ark.

I was so happy to spend time with Kandi this week. It wasn't much but it helped me out as far as my general mood. You see, Kandi is one of those people who doesn't get hung up on trappings. She's very down to earth and very tolerant of others. Hell, she and I have been through the "same boyfriend" thing, and she and I survived it. If two women can't survive that, they can't survive anything. She remarried last year, and is happier in her love life than I've ever seen her. She deserves happiness, though...every bit of it.

She's a complete 180 from another dear friend of mine, WG. WG is a very organized person, which she needs to be in order to be a successful businesswoman. However, WG also is accepting of people. It's not always easy to see, but if she can put up with me and my shenanigans, she can put up with ANYONE. She's a straightshooting type of person, and also a person who gives her heart to her friends and family. She's able to do what she has to do and come out smelling like a rose. I admire that in a person.

These two women are opposites from each other, but they're still two wonderful parts of my life that I couldn't imagine living without.

Isn't it funny how you can have so many people in your life? Some of them hurt you even though you think they're a "friend", and some of them you hurt even though they're your "friend". I used to have a hard time letting go of transgressions against me, and I would hide my guilt over my own mistakes.

It's different now, or at least, I'm trying to make it different.

Maybe that's why I am still there for DD even when he's hurt me seventeen different ways. I draw lines in the sand over what I will and will not do, and I've stuck to them, but I still listen. I don't have to agree with him, but I do listen.

I guess getting older helps you learn what true friendship means. In some cases that's what my BP has cost me, but I'm going to do my best to say I'm sorry and rebuild from that point. One friend at a time, I guess. I'm just glad that the friends who've always been there are around too...there's no way "thanks" will ever be good enough for what I've received, but it's all I've got.