Friday, September 07, 2007

Fandango Friday

First of all, may I present today's "Nessun Dorma" clip...



To be honest, I've never heard of these guys before other than one of their album covers being so god-awful ugly. But the lead singer, you gotta admit, does a pretty decent job on this. It could be worse. I'm not telling you how yet. You'll just have to wait!


Well, let's see...what can I discuss here? Oh, yes...RIP to Miyoshi Umeki. Click here and here to learn more about her.

Among other honors she received, Ms. Umeki was the first Asian-American performer to win an Academy Award. She was awarded the Supporting Actress Oscar in 1957 for her performance in the film Sayonara. This was a starring vehicle for Marlon Brando, but Umeki and Red Buttons were both awarded Oscars for their efforts.

When I read the obit yesterday in the Washington Post, one part stood out for me...I thought it was sweetly humorous. From the article:

She was the youngest of nine children and described her key early influences as traditional Kabuki theater and American pop music she heard on the radio. She said her parents loathed American music, so she practiced singing with a bucket over her head or while under her bedcovers.
Isn't it amazing what people will put themselves through to do what they love the most? I can just imagine a cute little girl hiding under the covers or wearing a bucket on her head just so she can sing American music.

Next, I've got a few shout outs to give today...

The first one goes to my newest blogfriend, Alecto's Ophelia. Click here to read her post for today.

Second, another winner from Phlegm Fatale about a "tank pinata" and Luciano Pavarotti. Not sure how she fit two subjects like that together, but she did it up right.

I've even gone to see The Mighty Blog (aka the Mighty Dyckerson). Click here to read his in-depth analysis of a beloved nursery rhyme. Then call a therapist right away and schedule an appointment. (Just Kidding, Mr. Dyckerson!)

Finally, Ed H. is still in need of cheering up, folks. Click here to go visit, and explore his blog a bit. You'll be glad you did. Tell him I sent you so he won't think you're a Jehovah's Witness or anything.

So on that note, I'm going to bid you all adieu for today.

That's French for "see y'all later!"