Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Another "I Done Be Outraged", but not quite what you expect


The feminist in me was very angry about this headline.

Why? Because it seems that even though we've come so far, we still have a LONG way to go.

Think about it...it doesn't matter if you have stellar grades, if you're a great athlete, an accomplished young musician/actress/singer/artist/writer, or have combinations of the above. If you don't dress like the nice lady to the left, you're going to be paid attention to a bit less.

However, the next feeling/thought I had cross through my head was, "Tell us something we DON'T know, please!"

Seriously. There has been an endless struggle for "good girl" vs. "bad girl" status for decades. I know I went through it. Many others went through it too. So what's the big surprise about this?

But why are women still falling for it? Come on, peeps! Tell me why AP catches this story and displays it like it's some new thing. Aren't we supposed to know better by now? We've had enough Lifetime Movies of the week where a woman/teenage girl goes through all this stuff, and in the end it's all for naught. They end up institutionalized and/or dead.

Sexed-up images in the media have existed for YEARS. For my generation, it was Madonna. Every generation has their sexed-up woman...Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell lying on a haystack with her cups running over...hell, even Clara Bow and Jean Harlow probably had their imitators.

But isn't the human spirit more powerful than a photograph or a video image?

Could someone please explain to me why it's so hard to avoid the influence of media? Other than everyone's doing it?

Help me understand before I undergo bariatric surgery and various implants to make myself sexier...oh, and I can't take the plaid schoolgirl skirt back because it was on clearance.

Sudiegirl the befuddled (but still adorable)

PS: Frivolity will be coming up...thanks!