Monday, September 25, 2006

Mousy Monday


Today in history:

In 1775, American Revolutionary War hero Ethan Allen was captured by the British as he led an attack on Montreal. (Jeez...and to think he settled for furniture making after all that excitement.)








_____

Well, all things considered, the weekend ended up on a pretty upward swing.

Coolest thing that happened?

D replaced the garbage disposal without my help. Really. He's become quite the handyman (or maybe he always was and I just didn't see it). I was quite impressed.

Also, we did the "domestic" thing and went GROCERY SHOPPING. I clipped coupons and everything...and we only filled one cart, so I can actually cook again. Go figure. I'm not a great cook by any stretch of the imagination, but we won't have to chew our legs off in an effort to survive. It's all for the greater good, right?

However...D and I went through a disagreement of sorts earlier in the week.

It was nothing bad, but it's truly an example of the kind of thing couples will argue about and single people will say, "What the hell is your problem?"

Let's back up a bit...D's new job is with a company that remodels rental apartments and also provides the materials for landlords to do the remodeling work themselves. One day, D came home with a four-pound, unopened can of tuna.

Let me emphasize his bounty again.

Four. Pound. Can. Of. Tuna.

I was not displeased with his bounty (if one can call it that). Not at all.

I admit, it's rather weird - some women get flowers and I get white albacore packed in water, but hey - life is like that.

So anyway...whether or not I'm appreciating the spirit of the gift is, in fact, irrelevant because that sucker is a pretty prominent canned good we're workin' with here.

And THAT'S what the argument was about; the size of the item and how to store its contents.

See...I'm like other folks...I buy my cans of tuna in the normal size, not the JUMBO BIG-ASS USE IT FOR A FOOTSTOOL packaging. And of course, when I don't know how to do something in the kitchen, who do I call?

MOM.

Why Mom?

Because she's less inclined to laugh at my questions, unlike my sister.

Anyway, I used the trusty cell phone to call me ma, since we hadn't reached home yet.

Sudiegirl: Mom...can you freeze tuna?
Sudiegirl's Mom: Like tuna steaks?
Sudiegirl: Uh...um...no...more like...canned tuna. (Face turns red, but Mom can't see this...)
Sudiegirl's Mom: Why would you want to freeze canned tuna?
Sudiegirl: Well...uh...(forehead sweats)...well, it's...a...(quickly) fourpoundcanoftuna.
Sudiegirl's Mom: (puzzled): Why do you have a four-pound-can-of-tuna?

(Meanwhile, D is wondering why I'm not sharing the same exact enthusiasm for this former member of ocean life.)

Sudiegirl: Well, D acquired this item, and I'm fairly certain we can't eat it all in one sitting.

So the mom said tuna could indeed be frozen, and gave us instructions as to how to do it. I thought it sounded perfectly reasonable to me. If you're ever caught in the same mess, here's what MOM sez you should do.

1. Get freezer bags (one quart ones should do nicely)
2. Open can
3. Portion out in one-cup increments, seal, note what's in the bag and when you froze it.

D didn't agree with this method. Here's his method:

1. Open can of tuna
2. Make tuna mac and cheese every night until the tuna runs out.

We went round and round about this for the better part of a week. I could understand his concern, I guess, but I also didn't want to contract botulism or something. You understand my reasoning, right?

(Please say yes...I'll give you a cookie)

So we wound up freezing the tuna. Actually, D gets credit for the actual preparation for freezing the tuna (as in putting the tuna in freezer bags), whereas I merely procured the ancient method.

I'm not sure how that worked out but I will not contest it. I figure why fight destiny?

More to come...
Sudiegirl