Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Stuff that runs through my head...and Polly Purebred drawing from www.jrj-socrates.com


More too-brief headlines?

Rice Clarifies U.S. Interrogation Policy
(Funny, I thought carrots were better for your eyes?)

U.S. Housing Market Seen Declining in 2006
(Well, obviously someone's a psychic; will they know if any legs will be broken?)

South Korea Watchdog Fines Microsoft $32M
(Well, what's a dog going to do with all that money? Invest in Milk Bones?)

Olympic flame arrives in Italy
(What do they pack a flame in? Also, who searches the flame for contraband?)

Flyers, Flames Settle Tie in Shootout
(Boy, that tie must have been pretty agitated. Was it a necktie or a bowtie?)

Blue Jays Get Burnett; Dodgers Hire Little
(Boy, it's great to see Carol Burnett and Rich Little working again, don't you think?)

*******

Well, friends and foes, it's another day in our Nation's Capital (or close to it)...

In one of my few Christmas traditions, I watched "A Charlie Brown Christmas" last night. I still love it, even though it's older than I am at this point. One sign that I am getting older...I was waiting for Dolley Madison snack cake commercials. I'd forgotten they sold out to Hostess!

It was good to watch it, though...it was nice and relaxing, although a bit weird that I had to stay up till 8 PM EST to watch the darn thing. I'm used to it being on the tube at 7 PM CST (which is really the same time, but not when you're a little kid!) so I was all confused.

Another thing that got me was that the people who did all the voices as children are probably in their mid to late 40's if not older. AAAGGGHHH! That's not how it's supposed to work! Oh well, the show is still sacred enough that I haven't invented a drinking game to go with it. That's a good thing, right?

I'm kind of sad to see Eddie Van Halen and Valerie Bertinelli break up, but they had one of longer show-biz marriages. I think the rock and roll lifestyle would be a hard one to maintain after a while, don't you? Like I'LL EVER KNOW...and what's up with Christina Applegate and Jonathan Schaech (spelling unsure on that one)? That's sad too...they seemed pretty happy together. Just shows to go ya that things are not as they appear. I'm not going to make fun of them though...I reserve that for special celebrities that really annoy me...like Britney Spears, for instance.

I'm really not surprised that Brit's marriage is on the rocks, nor should her "close personal friends" be. Kevin is, to quote my mother, a "do-less wonder". She's the gravy train and he's riding along like the good moocher that he is. It's really kind of sad, when you think about it.

What's really sad is that I pay attention to it and feed the flames of celebrity gossip. Oh well, gotta have something to do.

BTW, if you get a chance, try to check out the Showtime TV show "Weeds". It's about a recently widowed upper-middle-class mommy who is trying to keep things on an even keel, so she resorts to selling pot. She tries really hard to stay moral and make a buck at the same time, and it's a hard call. Her family and friends have their own dilemmas, and all in all, it makes for entertaining and thoughtful TV. It brings me to this question: would you do something morally questionable (like selling pot) in order to keep your family fed, clothed and sheltered? I know that many do it every day, and I'm not sure what I would do in their same situation. What say you, fair readers?

Well, I'd better go until something new crosses my mind that I HAVE to share
Sudiegirl