Monday, December 19, 2005

Monday mutterings...


OK...it's Monday. The week before Jesus' birthday, when everyone and their dog goes frickin' nuts.

Anyway, I'm feeling OK today but there's always tomorrow. (Damn, what a positive spirit I have.) My sister was cranky both times I talked to her, and I'm not sure why other than her back was hurting. Whatever. I just LOVE calling long-distance and being talked to like I'm the village idiot. ('Scuse me while I drool on my shoes...duhhhhh)

Oh well. That's life in the big city.

And now, on to other topics...

Is it just me, or are people weirder than ever this holiday season? Between everyone fussin' over whether to say "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays" or "Get the Hell Out Of My Way, Falalalala, fa la la la", it's giving me a lot of fodder for this blog. I probably should be reading Happy News (www.happynews.com) so I can have my faith in humanity re-affirmed, but I'll have to do it later. Too many news items about drunk Santas to wade through.

However, in my crawl through the internet for news items, I ran across this one, and I'm surprised they call it news. Courtesy of Yahoo! News, click here to see the original link.

If the link doesn't work, here it is in its entirety, no alterations:

Woody Allen Says He Loves London Weather
1 hour, 39 minutes ago

Woody Allen says he loves London's famously dreary weather and its residents' ever-expressive slang.

Allen was in the city on Sunday for the British premiere of his new film "Match Point," which swaps the director's beloved Manhattan settings for the gray streets of London.

"I let the cast improvise a lot, especially with the slang, where they would say 'g and t' for gin and tonic. I wouldn't say that," said Allen. "I would say 'dicey' when they would say 'dodgy.' I learnt a lot."

"Match Point" charts the fortunes of an Irish tennis player, played by Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, at the hands of an upper-crust English family.

It is Allen's best-received film in years and has gotten Golden Globe nominations for best picture, best director, best screenplay and best supporting actress, for Scarlett Johansson.

"The weather was absolutely superb for photography," Allen said. "Gray skies photograph beautifully, the light it casts is very soft.

"Filming in New York can be so hot in the summer but here it was perfect for my melancholy spirit."

Now, ask yourself, "Does it really matter in my daily life whether Woody Allen likes London or not?"

I really don't get the rationale behind that planted news item. Is it supposed to encourage tourism by other neurotic auteurs? I just don't get it at all.

Anyway, I think at this point I should just cut this entry short and try to find other jewels with which to torture - oops, I mean ENTHRALL - my readers.

Yours in integrity (or something like that),
Sudiegirl